Oh my dear fellow Harry fans, I don’t know how to do this. While I love Harry Potter (the books), I find the movies to be quite atrocious. But I’ll try to keep an open mind while writing this very long Harry rant.
Major Spoilers incoming!
To start off, I think I’ll do a two part review (don’t worry it’s all in the same post). So one, as a movie, HPatDH2 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2…if you needed that clarified) was good. As a portrayal of what actually happened in the book, it was a suuuuuuuuckfest!
So, as a movie, I’ll give it 4 out of 5 stars. As a book reader, I’ll give it a 3 (still out of 5). It’s not varying much in the star ratings…but I’m not too good at those. Read the details of my opinion to find out what you really think.
Where do I begin with this mess? I’ll start with the bad and hopefully end with the good. There are many, many reasons why I find this movie horrible. Many of you may say it’s just small details that the producers/directors all that gang left out, but to me, it is important. So let’s dive right in!
1) The Elder wand cracking when Voldemort (I’m going to call him Voldy from now on) used it. That does not happen at all.
While we’re on the subject of wands…the last “epic” battle between Harry and Voldy. In the book, Harry fires the Expeliarmus (excuse my bad spelling as this will happen with names and stuff) while Voldy fires the, I believe it was the killing curse. Anyway, since the Elder Wand actually belongs to Harry, Harry’s expeliarmus hits Voldy and the Elder Wand should fly to Harry and hit Voldy with the killing curse. While there IS a bit of this in the movie, it’s not as clear as it could be. There is no struggle of wand lights between Harry and Voldy, no holding curses for 5 minutes, none of that. But I guess for movie purposes, they needed to put it in. Moving on…
2) [These are going to be out of order, I’m sorry]. When Harry, Ron and Hermione go somewhere and they need to hide…they hide behind tables or BEHIND things. Did everyone suddenly forget the minor detail of Harry having an invisibility cloak? Like…come on…it’s one of the deathly hallows!
3) Harry, Ron, and Hermione sneaking into Hogwarts. Um..how did Luna beat them in? That’s just minor…but she was in there with the other students waiting to welcome Harry. I just found that to be odd. But while we’re in Hogwarts…Harry does not pose as one of the students, does not step out during Snape’s speech. There’s supposed to be time killing, trying to figure out and find where that horcrux is. I mean it would have been a waste of movie time, but people need to know that it wasn’t so easy.
4) The diadem. When Harry goes looking for it in the Room of Requirement and finds it in a box. Uh…BIG question mark there. The Diadem is supposed to be sitting on a troll bust (or some kind of statue…I don’t remember THAT much detail). Harry remembers this before going into the room because earlier he put something into the cupboard thing that the troll was next to.
5) And since we’re here, in the movie Harry can hear the horcruxes talking to him. NO! He CAN’T. It’s not that easy. He needs to look for them. He needs to find them like a regular person finds things. Otherwise, it would be as easy as using the accio spell, which we all know does not work on horcruxes.
6) Moving right along. In Belatrix Lestrange’s vault when the gang is looking for the Cup (not the Stanley Cup, the hufflepuff one). The items ARE supposed to multiply when you touch them..they kept multiplying after they hit the floor and no one touched them. Also, Hermione yells out for them to not move. How will not moving prevent you from touching things if the room is pretty much FILLED with these things. You’re surrounded by them! If you’re not touching them, they’re touching you. You’re screwed. Also, these objects are supposed to burn you. Harry holding on the the Cup is supposed to be painful. He’s supposed to want to let go (and risk losing the real one in the mess of the multiplying ones), it’s supposed to be hard!
7) The hinted at romance between Neville and Luna? Guess what, it never happens! Read the book.
8) Harry doesn’t tell Hermione and Ron to kill the Snake, he tells Neville. And then Neville does it, and THEN they start the huge epic battle. Harry doesn’t run around the castle fighting Voldy. The battle is confined to the Great Hall.
9) During the epic battle while Harry is not running around the castle. Harry does not give Voldy a hug and say “Let’s end this like it started, together” and jump off the castle. They don’t fly around together groping at each other’s faces.
10) Memories cannot come from tears. Period. Snape gives his memories to harry by pointing his wand to his temple and pulling them out, just like everyone else before him did. Also, the scene with Snape’s death does not take place in a boat house. It happens in the Shrieking Shack. Why would that have been so hard?
11) After Harry is killed, Narcissa walks over to him to check that he’s dead and asks Harry if Draco is ok. Harry NODS. NO HE DOESN’T! Everyone would see a nod! Everyone would see his head move! Keep it like the book and have him whisper yes!
12) Where did Voldy get that many followers? Last time I checked, he only had like 30. Instead of paying this huge amount of people to dress in black, take those 30 people from the Goblet of Fire when Voldy came back to human form, and use those. I guess that wouldn’t be epic enough…but who WOULDN’T buy the fact that children wizards who barely know any spells can defend themselves one on one with pro dark arts?
13) Harry breaks the Elder wand without fixing his own before that. Harry LOVED his wand. He tried fixing it with another wand. The Elder wand is ALL POWERFUL. It’s the only one that can fix Harry’s. But that’s okay. Harry doesn’t need a wand.
14) Where’s the part about McGonagle becoming headmistress? Disappoint.
15) They did not make Neville look badass. He still looked like a joke. Disappoint.
16) Voldy dies and turns into flying pieces of paper? Lame.
Goodness me. I think I’ll say what I did like now. I’m sure I’ve missed a crap ton of stuff about the disappointments, but this is getting pretty long.
1) The story of Snape’s love for Lilly.
2) The emotional connection between McGonagle and Harry.
3) The scene where Harry dies and goes to King’s Cross. Very well done. (except when they kept beating us over the head that Snape loved Lilly. WE GET IT!)
4) The beginning…duhh. Very accurate conversations with Griphook and Olivander.
5) Loved the scene in Gringotts with the waterfalls that removes all disguises and stuff.
6) Absolutely LOVED Helena Bonham Carter’s acting as Hermione trying to be Bellatrix. Oh dang…I’m going to have to enter a disappointment with this scene…Hermione (as Bellatrix) is supposed to give the goblin Bellatrix’s wand as identification. Also…the imperius curse looked like someone getting high…lame. But good acting! Lol
Okay, I’m going to wrap it up. I’ve discussed this far too much with others and here lol.
Um…final word…go watch it, see for yourself how well/poorly done this is. And please read the books. You are not a real fan unless you do.